Are The All-star Prep Levels Being Continued This Season?

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Rhiley, May 27, 2013.

1. Rhiley

Rhiley I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I haven't seen too many gyms announce that they are having an All Star Prep level team for the 13-14 season, so I was just wondering whether the divisions were even offered any more?

And if you did compete All-Star Prep, or attend a gym that has/had an All Star Prep level, what were your thoughts and experiences? Was the level met with hard times and complications? Would your gym do it again? Did anybody's?
  2. Angelica

Angelica Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    AngelicaKw
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach / Athlete
    Yes they are having it again. My small gym has a youth 2 team that will go allstar prep this year. Im quite excited! Our sister gym had a team that was in it all last year and they loved it. My youth 2 is basically my entire mini one from last season and 90% of the team aged out of minis so I think this is going to be a great division to get them ready to compete in the allstar youth division hopefully by nationals
  3. Nikaa

Nikaa Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    What is an allstar prep?
  4. Haley0430

Haley0430 They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    From what I've been told, allstar prep is the team between rec and allstar. It gives girls who want to compete the ability to without the price/mental commitment. From my point of view it's a more less intense version of true allstar cheerleading
  5. iCheer247

iCheer247 Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Our gym used this division for half year teams. Returning half-year kids disliked it because the routine was only 2 minutes, which led to a very jam-packed routine.
  6. dance2874

dance2874 I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Our gym had it the past 2 years and will again this coming season. My CP was on it the past 2 seasons and this year we made the jump to all-star. We had a fantastic season last year and felt it was a great intro to competitive cheer. There were many kids who just weren't as dedicated, goofed around, missed practices....but that is probably to be expected because it is not as big of a commitment.

The only big issue we had was the lack of rules honestly. The last comp of our season there were teams in our division who were clearly actual all-star teams. (As they were listed on their gyms website that way and we saw them 2 weeks prior IN all-star divisions) The rules state you can crossover at any given competition but there is no rule saying you sent change from one competition to the next. We felt that was completely unfair but it is what it is.
    • Shimmy Shimmy x 1
  7. dawgshow

dawgshow Slow your roll, Sparkle. National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    [quote="dance2874, post: 774039, member: 27341"

The only big issue we had was the lack of rules honestly. The last comp of our season there were teams in our division who were clearly actual all-star teams. (As they were listed on their gyms website that way and we saw them 2 weeks prior IN all-star divisions) The rules state you can crossover at any given competition but there is no rule saying you sent change from one competition to the next. We felt that was completely unfair but it is what it is.[/quote]
    I believe that has been addressed for this year. No cheerleader can compete all star and AS Prep or the prep team is disqualified.
    Our gym has a J2 prep team and will most likely have a Y1 prep.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!
  8. dance2874

dance2874 I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I hope so! It said that before but wasn't very specific. It said an athlete could not cross over in any given comp but from week to week there was no rule. I think it's a really good way to test the competitive waters so to speak. For my CP it was what helped her realize she wanted a team as committed as she was this year.
  9. CoachTamara

CoachTamara Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tamaraerdes
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Kinda upset about not being able to attend a two day competition and compete twice. My tines finally were going to travel this year, and now I have to go back and tell them no. Make the prizes smaller and the competition fees cheaper and go to town, but taking away the chance to compete twice? Why? I don't get it.
    • Shimmy Shimmy x 1
  10. dawgshow

dawgshow Slow your roll, Sparkle. National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I don't get it, either. Makes no sense at all.

11. catlady

catlady I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Wait! What? Is this just for Tiny Prep or is this a new Prep rule that you can only compete one time and not at a two day event?
  12. Andre

Andre Author at Spirit Post Staff Member

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    andrejcarter
    I am a(n)...:
    Industry Professional
    Verified Member:
    Andre Carter
    USASF Core Safety Official
    The intent was to make clear differences between All Star and Prep.
  13. CoachTamara

CoachTamara Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tamaraerdes
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    All teams. Not a fan at all.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 1
  14. catlady

catlady I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Nor am I. I hate to keep asking you questions but, do you know the reasoning behind this rule?

Edit: I just saw the response above. Thanks.
  15. EricaElite

EricaElite I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    I did all-star prep last year at Orlando Allstars. I had just started college and moved 3 hours away from my family, so a full season team was out of the question, but I made the age deadline by 3 days and don't have the skills for an open team. So I wasn't going to let this last year of eligibility go :p
    We were a senior level 2 team and went to 2 competitions. One was a 2 day in Orlando where we won against one team and the other a one day in Tampa where we won against 4 other teams. The season is shorter, so you don't get that bond with your team like you would during a full season. And of course the routine was 2 minutes instead of 2 1/2. I really liked it though.
    • Shimmy Shimmy x 1