Stretches For Inflexible People?

Discussion in 'Skills' started by Alexx, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Alexx

Alexx I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    Alex_Downey
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    So basically Im the least flexible person you will probably ever meet. My old gym didnt really care all that much about flexibility, but at my new gym everyone is expected to to be somewhat flexible. We stretch during practice, but the problem is Im not even flexible enough to do those stretches. What are some stretches that basically anyone can do?

2. Mamarazzi

Mamarazzi Ultimate Grand Supreme '12

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Well, it's always good to be able to step outside your norm. Do things you wouldn't normally do. That way, when a change happens, you can be more flexible. It's an important quality to have in life, and no one likes people that are too rigid.

Here's a great exercise in flexibility - see that box up there that says "Search...?" You could try looking up all 8,438 threads about this topic.

Good luck!

;)
    • Shimmy Shimmy x 1
  3. SheCheers

SheCheers Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    you just gotta DO it as best you can. often. every morning when you wake up and every night before you go to bed. hold the stretches for at least 30 seconds.
  4. Alexx

Alexx I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    Alex_Downey
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Ive looked through most of those, and a lot of times Im not flexible enough to do those yet.
  5. sizzles

sizzles Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    If you want to "do" a stretch, you need to try doing the stretch. The first time you attempt the splits, you're going to be ten feet off the ground. But the more you sit in it, the closer you'll get to the ground. The same goes for every other stretch. Anyone can sit in a pike and try to touch their toes. Not everyone will be able to touch their toes, but if you work at it long enough, you will be able to eventually.

There is no stretch you will really be able to do right off the bat. Look through the treads again and try the ones you see. Work on the ones you do at practice at home. Start slowly, but push yourself. Stretch as often as you can. Flexibility comes from hard work.
  6. NJ Coach

NJ Coach 10's Across the Board....literally. National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    jen_coach
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Make sure you warm up your muscles first. Stretching is a lot easier if your already warmed up. An easy cheat (if your not looking to warm up first) is heating pads. Either the plug in type or the sticky ones that you throw out when done. I would suggest actually warming up, but heating pads work too.
  7. kristenthegreat

kristenthegreat Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    I'm having lots of problems with flexibility right now..my hip flexors in particular get EXTREMELY tight, so it's been hard trying to work myself back into a split..Whats worked for me is to stretch when warm (after a workout), and generally stretch throughout the day as often as possible (..I constantly dance around like a loon, so my muscles are always pretty warm lol). Be gentle, it will come.
  8. The_cheer_obsessed

The_cheer_obsessed I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    The stretches you guys do, do at home also...you wont get flexible in one day...it just takes practice and time :)
  9. kristenthegreat

kristenthegreat Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Tell that to my hips..they might have forgotten they're still supposed to move like I'm 21 and not like I'm 81..:confused:
  10. The_cheer_obsessed

The_cheer_obsessed I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    That, I wouldn't know